Thursday, February 12, 2015

T 2, 2.12, P1 Final

After weeks of work, critiques and adjustments, our first is complete. By re-designing a Rice Krispies cereal box, I looked at form and how type is affected when placed on a 3-Demential surface. My cereal boxes are focused on the unique differences between them, highlighted by the Gestalt principle, emphasis. I wanted each box to have a dominate design or packaging as well as clean craft. I wanted to give meaning to sayings such as "Simple good fun" by bringing them to light for the consumer. 

Referencing the bellow pictures, each design is geared towards an attribute and hopes to convey feeling. On the left I longed for the box to feel confident and interdependent. The red RICE is meant to catch your eye, while the handwritten words suggest a relaxed narrative in contrast to the shouting color. This arrangement I very so much enjoy.

I have decided to propose the center box for it utilizes white space to create comfort and energy at the same time. By leaving the front of the box clear and created a cloud of words on the back, there is a nice contrast that allows for both attributes to be noticed. I chose brown due to its organic nature. And thought it pared well with the hand lettering. 

My last box is meant to display information. I wanted to leave the background white so that the consumer could easily read the text. On the other hand, I thought that adding color to the text would help highlight the importance of certain words. The overlapping of the type and the way it wraps around the edges was purposefully designed so that it seamed a little industrial and manufactured. 

Overall, I enjoyed worked with the 3-Demential shape and feel I now have a much greater appreciation for designers who venture beyond the restricted, 2D, and try their craft at objects that are meant to be held and rotated in hand. You have to visualize as well as allow yourself to break boundaries and walls, wrap around curves and edges. I hope to continue to apply this new experience to other projects. 








2 comments: